From Our Midlands 103 Q&A Interview……Here’s our Lawn Tips Recap
MOSS Problems – Causes
- Shaded Areas = such as Large Trees and Plants hanging over the lawn that are blocking natural sunlight
- Debris = Leaving Debris / Leaves on your grass for long periods of time
- Compacted Soils or Heavy Wear Areas
- Water Logged Lawns = Poor Drainage
- Poor Cutting Practices = such as Cutting with Blunt Blades & not Cutting Regularly
- Neglecting Lawn = such as not feeding lawn
- Allow Natural Light = by Cutting Back any Trees or Plants to allow natural light on your grass
- Removing Leaves = Ensure & Blow all leaves from your lawn throughout Autumn through to Winter.
- Aerating = Consider Aeration to relieve the compaction during early Spring till late Autumn – Hollow core / Verti drain
- Drainage = Consider having drainage to let the surface water runaway
- Regulate Cutting Directions, where possible
- ALWAYS Cut Using Sharp Blades
- Cutting a Third at a Time = You should Never cut away any more than one third of the grass leaf at any one time
- Feeding Lawn = All Lawns need feeding each season
What Height Should I Cut my Lawn?
- Start off in Spring cutting height 2-3”
- As growth starts gradually reduce height down to 1.5”
- Start to increase heights again in EARLY Autumn to 2-3”
Should you spread lime on grass before a feed?
- I would say NO to lime on your lawn
- Unless you have a lime deficiency
- Easiest way to find his out to buy soil PH test kit
- Overuse of lime encourages coarser grasses
- You want fine texture leaf in your lawn
- Stick to feeding the lawn without lime in most cases
How does a Soil PH test kit work?
- Soil PH IS test kit measure between 1 to 14
- Acid (Peat Soils)= 1
- Alkaline (Lime Stone Soils)= 14
- Neutral = 7
Traditional Mower Vs Automatic
Why you should not use Traditional Mowers?
- Rotary Mower = You’re cutting with impact
- Time Consuming
- Weather Conditions = Mowing in bad weather conditions
- Removal of clippings
- If mulching leads to bad thatch problems
- Thatch is a build-up of dead plant material
- Fuel = Uses a lot of fuel
- Pollution = Bad for the environment
Why you should use an Automower?
- Automatic = Cuts the lawn for you
- Sharp Cutting Every Time = Cuts with shear sharp blades all the time
- 360° Cutting = Cuts in 360 different dimensions
- Little to No Clippings = Of which the plant can digest bacteria and microbes, keeping the leaf broken down.
- Access food source for lawn
- Weather Resistant = Don’t have to worry about weather conditions, Automowers mow every day
- Cheap to Run
- No Noise
- No Pollution